Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Challenge

So something in me clicked. I am going to be thirty in 5 months. It is not the end of the world, nor will I "change" when I enter a new decade, but it got me thinking. Are there things that I want to do on the road to 30? Sure, I have lots of things I want to do in my life; have a healthy family, have one more baby, buy a new house. But those are big life things. What about the 5 months before the dirty thirty. Are there things that, in my twenties, I want to do? YES! I have thought of 10 of them. I don't want to go crazy, I only have 5 months here people!



As some of you know I have a family blog, which I am very bad at keeping up with. But I am starting a new blog dedicated to just this road. If you like, you can follow my road to 3o. Will I complete all 10 things? Only time will tell. I feel like publishing my 10 things for the Internet world to see, will keep me accountable. This is just for fun, because I can either let 30 come and go or I can say, "30. I am grabbing you by the cajones and it is going to be a wild ride!"

Now, you have heard my preface, here is my challenge!!!! It's so exciting...



1. Lose 10 pounds

I know, I know it sounds kind of shallow, but after having Olivia I can't seem to shake these extra lbs. I may or may not post a before picture. That's very nerve racking for me.

2. Read a Classic Novel

I googled "classic novels" and to my surprise, I have read a lot of classic novels. I guess since I have been out of high school for eleven years, I feel like I don't really read. So, I have chosen "Pride and Prejudice"

3. Get a tattoo

Yes, I can get a tattoo after I turn 30 but I feel like if I don't at least get one in my twenties, I will never get one. I think I know a good person to ask....hehehe.

4. Get on a train and go anywhere

I am 29 years old and have never been on a train. It seems weird to have never been on one. Well, I guess not really. I have gotten around in minivans, my two wheeler, my husband's Harley, airplanes, and now my mommy car. So there was no real need for a train in my life. But for this challenge, I want to buy a ticket on Amtrak and cruise around in style.

5. Take a Cooking Class

Sure, I know how to cook. I have watched my family make a meal, I have obsessed over the cooking channel at every kind of cuisine. But I have never had a chef teach me how to cook. This one will be fun because for those who really know me, I love food.

6. Volunteer

I think this one is very important. I am planning on doing this during the holidays. I'll keep you all posted on where I go.

7. Get Life Insurance

It sounds pretty dorky. But I will need this for the future or should I say my Olivia will need it.

8. Stay the night in a fancy hotel

This one is just a bit of fun. I was thinking of something in Carmel-by-the-Sea or Big Sur. If anyone has any ideas let me know!!!

9. Go to the movies alone

Now that I have a wonderful, loving, crazy, beautiful little girl, it kind of sounds exciting to sit in the dark alone watching a movie. I mean really watch it. Every movie or tv show at home gets interrupted at least five times. So I think I can get over the feeling that I am all alone and truly enjoy a movie!


10 Move away from Facebook and onto my blog

This one is kind of a cop out but I need to get off that FB. It sucks my time. I guess blogging sucks time, but it's about my own info and life. And in 2010, this is like my journal.

So that's the list. If you like you can check back in whenver, and see how I am doing with my list. Feel free to leave a comment or an opinion. On to the new decade!

4 comments:

  1. Alissa you are amazing! I think it is wo wonderful that you are blogging your jorney to 30. You are such a wonderful writer. I think recently I have felt the same way. I love you and can't wait to see what you have in store for us in the next few months.:)

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Boo. I just thought this would be fun to do and let my family and friend in on it too!! Hopefully I can complete them all!
    Love ya, Lis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I want to do some of those things too! What type of tatoo??? yeah! The facebook thing is true too, I've been thinking that way too, why do I need to know about everyone else's life besides mine and my close family/friends...
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister!! I am SO proud of you! This is such a cute blog (I agree, Booboo, very good writer indeed!) and an AWESOME idea! I might borrow some of your ideas...or better yet, maybe I can do some of those things with you...except for the movie one...kinda defeats the purpose, huh? I was thinking the tattoo one :D and maybe the volunteering one. I know a great place in Oakland that benefits from the MAC AIDS Foundation called Project Open Hand. Went to a meeting and someone from their organization did a presentation that didn't leave a dry eye in the house! Right in your backyard, too! So exciting! I will have to link this to my phone...if I can figure out how..hmmmm

    LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete